Sunday, September 25, 2011

Thriller #9 - Rosemary's Baby (1969)

Rosemary's Baby was, once again, disappointingly un-scary. It started off pretty promising - In the beginning, they're considering a new apartment, and at the end of a little hallway, there's a big old heavy dresser. And there's a closet behind it. And the apartment is empty last person who lived there died. But they still buy the apartment! So that was really creepy. There were a couple of other moments like that, but largely it was very un-terrifying. I guess I'll have to wait for The Exorcist.



So Rosemary's Baby is about a woman who's pregnant with the Antichrist. You know that. I know that. Everyone knows that. This makes the end kind of anticlimactic. You already know how it's going to end, so it seems very unexciting. The whole movie is kind of slow. I did like it, but it didn't do anything for me, really. I did like the introduction of the creepy enthusiastic neighbors. They were old-timey and friendly in a really unsettling way.




Good image there. I also liked the part when she was craving the rare meat - that was done well, subtle, but made its point. And hey, fun fact - the apartment building where they shot the movie is the same building where John Lennon was shot. So, not fun really, I guess.


On the whole, I really liked the way the movie looked, I thought it was a good movie overall, the pacing is a little slow, and it's really too...60's weird. Really, really, surreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment