Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Romantic Comedy #8 - Moonstruck (1987)

Moonstruck is, so far, the surprise hit of the genre. I really didn't think I was going to like it for whatever reason, and I was all prepared for a disappointment, but in the end it was really enjoyable.

If there's one thing that'll ruin a romance for me, it's soppiness, and things like Sleepless and Seattle are soppy. Moonstruck isn't soppy. It still discusses love and magic, there's a big moon motif and a man who roams the streets of New York with five dogs, and it has a soundtrack of classic Italian music. It should feel silly and schmaltzy, but it doesn't. It feels very unembellished and real, and sweet.





The best thing about this movie to me is probably the women in it. They're played by Cher and Olympia Dukakis, and they're so matter-of-fact and practical, but they also care about romance. It's just wonderful, I loved it so much. Nicholas Cage is there too, and he's...crazy, mostly, but that works out just fine.

This is just my kind of romantic comedy. It's still romantic, but in a very practical way. It's been my favorite movie in the genre so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment