Sunday, February 19, 2012

Fantasy - A Debriefing

The American Film Institutes Top Ten American Fantasy Films

*My Interpretation*

So here's what I'm going to do - I'm going to give you the movies in their order, and then I'm going to reorder them in the order I think is most accurate. Exciting, isn't it?

Their order:
#10 - Big, #9 - The Thief of Bagdad, #8 - Groundhog Day, #7 - Harvey, #6 - Field of Dream, #5 - Miracle on 34th Street, #4 - King Kong, #3- It's a Wonderful Life, #2 - Lord of the Rings, #1 - The Wizard of Oz.

My Order:
#10 - The Thief of Bagdad (1924) - Too old, too silly. There just isn't enough thought and meaning behind this movie - It has a plot like a video game.

#9 - Field of Dreams (1989) - I don't really like baseball that much, it isn't that interesting, I'm still not really sure what it's about. I didn't mind watching it, but I don't want to watch it ever again.

#8 - Miracle on 34th Street (1947) - It's a great Christmas movie, and it has the best Santa ever, but the romance is boring and it's only okay.

#7 - Big (1988) - Cool concept, good acting. It's alright.

#6 - Harvey (1950) - Interesting commentary on mental illness, Jimmy Stewart, filmed creatively. Definitely a unique movie for it's time.

#5 - The Wizard of Oz (1339) - A fun movie, and a movie that's lasted a long time and is important to our culture. It's just not technically good enough to me. It's too silly.

#4 - King Kong (1933) - Just silly enough. This movie is great. I've always wanted to watch a giant stop motion gorilla fight a pterodactyl, and now I can. This movie has great atmosphere.

#3 - Groundhog Day (1993) - I just really like this movie. It's funny, it's sad, Bill Murray is in it, it's about a silly holiday. What's not to like?

#2 - It's a Wonderful Life (1947) - This movie makes me feel like it is a wonderful life. I just love watching it . It really is heartwarming, which is kind of uncommon in movies.

#1 - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - Lord of the Rings made fantasy what it is today, and the sheer amount of detail that went into this movie really can't be topped. This movie showed that putting this kind of money behind a fantasy movie is worth it because people want to see it. This is totally the best movie on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment